Neat Special Effects, Will the Film Live Up to Them?

I remember when the first Tron film was released (thus providing a further hint that I'm a bit older). People were freaked out for some reason that Disney was putting out a movie that wasn't rated G. Sure, that seems absurd now, but at the time it was an honest concern for some people.

I watched the film, both in the theatre and on cable. It was all right, but it didn't captivate me as much as other productions at the time. Excalibur came out around then. Remember that King Arthur epic? Major cool. Anyway, Tron was okay, but not the most special thing in the world. They came out with some video games. The cycles. The flying discs. Interesting in a time of early standup gaming, but after a game or two you could move on without dropping more quarters into the slots.

So why is Disney releasing Tron Legacy (formally Tron 2)? I don't know. But if the movie is half as cool as the updated special effects, I'll have to give it a go. Empire Online is one of the spots where you can view the trailer shown at Comic Con. Is Jeff Bridges a bad guy this time around? Or is there more to his hunting down that other cyclist than meets the eye?

I think I'll be able to manage waiting until 2011 to find out. Until then, how about a sneak peek at Olivia Wilde's character? C'mon, guys!

Comments

One response to “Neat Special Effects, Will the Film Live Up to Them?”

ThePit said...
September 24, 2009 at 7:59 AM

I never got into Tron, maybe when it comes out I'll see it double feature style. Watch the original at home, then check out the new one.

Post a Comment